Camera Workshop 1 & 2


On the 5th October we had our first camera workshop with Ferg. We had the opportunity to learn about Sony cameras. We learnt about Sony XDCAM-100 and Sony XDCAM-200. For me, it was very intimidating as I had never used nor seen these cameras before unlike a few fellow classmates.

SONY XDCAM-100


SONY XDCAM-200





Our first assignment we had to practise with focus. Our task was to change the focus from one object to another, this is known as Rack Focus. Also we had to try and keep the object in focus whilst it was moving. Due to the lack of success me and my group had in doing this, I had very minimum clips to edit to make one video, but I still made one to remember and compare later in the future how I started and how I finished.




I found it difficult to swap from one subject to another but after a bit of practise I picked up on it although I still need some major word!  The bit of the assignment which was to stay in focus while the object was moving was even more tricky. (I included it in the video above).


In the same day we also practised framing. Our task was to use minimum of 5 different shots and say the story about a bag. For this, all three of us collaborated in what shots we believed suited our idea. This was a fun project to work on but our video needs improvement as sometimes the framing wasn't right and there was too much black showing.




For our second camera workshop on the 7th October we did more practise with the cameras. We had the amazing opportunity to work in the Jools Holland set.

Instead of filming one scene in one different shot we had to use as many different ones we could. I will admit that I did struggle a bit but think I did okay. I had an idea of what I wanted and a variety of different shots, but I struggled to with the tracking shot as I couldn't keep it in focus and holding the camera high enough made my hand slightly shaky. I think next time i want to use a shot like this I will use a manfrotto.




























Comments

  1. great work showing through here. look forward to seeing the chair...

    ReplyDelete
  2. chair work is really nice. some great coverage there. well done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Now or Never (2011) - A short film about family relationships

Documentary - Storyville Episode: Blackfish

Evaluation