Documentary - Storyville Episode: Blackfish


StoryVille Episode
Director: Gabriela Cowperthwaite
Producer: Gabriela Cowperthwaite
Writers: Gabriela Cowperthwaite, Eli B. Despres and Tim Zimmerman
Synopsis:
It concerns Tilikum, an orca held by Sea World and the controversy over captive killer whales

Even though I analysed this documentary for my script I wanted to analyse it for my research as well. 

  • When watching it, it starts off with Voice over and archive footage of what happened (v.o is the telephone call to emergency). 
  • It then goes on (which I though was smart) and shows and advertisement for Sea World = shows glory, happiness, once in a life time opportunity. 
  • Another thing which I enjoyed was the fact that all the people that were interviewed for the documentary were ex-trainers for Sea World. The technique it then uses is a montage of the trainers saying where they come from (all over the US)
A lot of archive footage was used especially when showing the incident or the shows from the whales. 







Colour Tone: 
- starts of with warm colours on the interviews 
but as the story progresses the colours get darker WHY? shows the seriousness of the accidents. 

           


Towards the end of the documentary, they interview to witnesses from Dawns death. This is a two person interview and I like how when they focused on one person it seemed as if she was being interviewed on her but she was with someone; you didn't notice the transitions.          

Another thing which I liked was how they showed a montage of all the news coverage of when the incidents happened at Sea World 

Things that inspired me: 
Although not a lot of things inspired me for my documentary because we are filming it in a different way I still enjoyed this documentary 
  1. the amount of interviews they got 
  2. the archive footage of both the news and the whales (when they were caught, being held captive, shows and the killings) It connected the audience with the documentary as we saw what was actually happening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now or Never (2011) - A short film about family relationships

Evaluation