Evaluation for both Drama and Portrait

At the beginning of term I was really nervous. Loads of thoughts were running through my mind as to what scene I should pick and what I would do for my self-portrait.

Drama

For the drama I was constantly thinking what would be easy for me to chose. Easy in the way of finding actors and location for a student production. Originally I chose a different series but though finding older actors would be harder than finding younger therefore I chose Vampire Diaries. My original thought was that it is such a dramatic scene that what actor wouldn't want to put on their showreel that they can cry. Unfortunately I was wrong. I didn't get many responses for any of my characters and had to settle down with the one actress who actually took a great interest but turned out for the best as she was really good and gave me what I wanted. As for the other two actors (Damon and Elena) I had one application for each one but both decided to stop communication with (I guess they changed their mind) and that resulted me into asking 2 students of UCA who lived at halls but were not professional actors. I was not extremely upset but still a bit disappointed as I would have preferred actual actors who would have been able to portray the sad and worried emotions that I wanted. Nevertheless, I am grateful that they agreed to help.

I did a lot of research on other series similar to Vampire Diaries and was paying close attention to how they were filming and the colour of the scene. On the production day, my video seemed darker on the camera but I was still please with the result I had. I considered a lot about colour correction but after talking to Ferg about to what extent I could do colour correction as my image has come out so clear I decided to leave it the way it is. The only thing about the colour that really troubles is when I had to reshoot and the colour is not the same as the rest of my production from the original shoot day. But, this was a lesson for me for next time - even though my actors were not good it doesn't mean I shouldn't have gotten more shots of them.


Self-Portrait 

For my self-portrait I had to really think what I was going to do. The video had to be about us and how I see the world. Personally I do not feel that England is my home (it is still alien to me) so I wanted to have footage from Cyprus; my home. Even though my idea for the self-portrait was simple is was true about me. It showed how I see the world = the beach, my family, beautiful sunsets and my history.

The idea of my video is that the camera zooms into my eyes and whilst zooming in the archive footage begins and then zooms out from my eyes at the end. This is because I wanted it to look as if the audience is gaining access to my head - my memories and my thoughts. And thankfully it worked.

One great things which I did was during one of the lighting workshops I set up the lighting equipment in one of the lecture rooms. There I experimented different lighting so I roughly had an idea of what my video would look like. Although, in my blog further down I stated that I want a really dark scene that only highlighted their face, I personally feel that the lighting in my video is great and so is the image quality.



Areas I improved on: 
- directing people and making them understand what I wanted
- using the camera and sound equipment; I have a lot more confidence in using them
 


Overall, I feel that this term went a lot better than last term. I learnt a lot from my previous mistakes and this terms mistakes. When it comes to the camera I have gained so much more confidence and have developed in this industry so much.

Having the role of a director was a great experience. I personally feel that it is something I would feel comfortable doing but in all honesty, even if I was good I personally do not have 'the eye' to produce something outstanding.

This term has been great and I look forward to the documentary unit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now or Never (2011) - A short film about family relationships

Evaluation

Greek Cypriot Culture