Research on Read Through and Preparation for my Read Through

To prepare for my script read through, I research a bit on what it is that has to be done and how you do it. Please scrolls to the bottom to see what I did to prepare for my read through.

                                                                                                                                                                   

With my research I understood that a read through should be done when you are in the final stages of writing.

"If you've tackled structure, plot and character issues in earlier drafts then your table read will be an ideal environment to uncover ways to enhance dialogue and action lines" Kim Garland

If you have yet to make lots of connection with actors you can simply ask a favour from one close actor friend, who will recommend other people. Because I don't have any actor friends and don't know many people in London, I simply kept it close and personal and asked my friends and family to help with the read through.

When you are preparing for your read through you should establish a location for the read, plan for food and beverage, have stationary on hand and keep in contact with the actors for final details. When you are hosting the table read through make sure you start on time and finish on time and remember that they are your guests so relax and have fun.

You may during the read through want to take pictures or video, but most importantly you are the writer so focus on how the script flows and not the acting of people. Likewise, any feedback given should be welcomed.  Once you have finished with your read through, thank the actors, look over your notes and begin to rewrite.

http://www.scriptmag.com/features/write-direct-repeat-hosting-a-table-read-for-your-script

Furthermore, when researching script read through I came across Mark Westbrooks blog, who explains that there are different stages of read throughs for actors along with crew, which I found intriguing.


  • The first read through (reading it all the way through in an undisturbed environment) 
  • Technical read through (begin to make notes in your script) 
  • Learning read through (make sure you understand words and phrases; more for actors) 
  • My Part read through - only read your parts to grasp your character; more for actors) 
  • Other POV read through (note all the things that are said by other characters; more for actors)

http://actingcoachscotland.co.uk/blog/tips-script-reading/

Describe my vision to my actors to give them a brief understand of the story and the characters that they will be playing. There is also no need to act, just read to get a good knowledge of how the script flows. Make sure you explain to them how to pronounce unknown words correctly. Likewise you should have fun, but make sure they understand this is still work time. [Craig Masson]

https://www.theatrefolk.com/blog/effective-table-read-guide-school-directors/

As a screenwriter hosting the read through, you should set a date, choose a private, quiet space and set a start and end time (which you stick to).  Invite experienced local actors, and don't read your own screenplay so you are able to write down notes.

http://blog.scriptladder.com/10-steps-host-great-table-read/

With more extensive research I came across on app that allows you to upload your script and listen back to it without having to organise actors. It is done through robotic voices and is widely used by screenwriters across the world to help give them an idea of the flow of the story before they officially begin production.

https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/need-to-table-read-a-script-theres-an-app-for-that/

                                                                                                                                                                   
MY SCRIPT READ TROUGH

As I don't know local actors or many men in their 40s I used family and friends I trust to do the read through. Originally I had one person for each character except one person who did two characters, unfortunately the people I had asked made other arrangements (such as holidays) and would not be in the country, and therefore I did not have many people left to do the read through.

As I did not want to just not do it, I made the decision of having my remaining actors read more that 2 characters or 3 if possible. Unfortunately I also had to do more that one characters but personally feel that I could do it.

Below are screenshots of who is what character in each episode.

 



   



 


As the people who did the read through did not want to be filmed I only recorded their voices.

The read through will be done at my house which is quiet and spacious to fit all these people and will begin at 12:00 on the 21st April and will last for two and half hours. Food and beverages will be provided with lots of thank yous.

Likewise, because I don't have one person for one character and I'm also doing the description read through , I have also decided to do the app, which the only down side of it is, it has robotic voices.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now or Never (2011) - A short film about family relationships

Evaluation

Greek Cypriot Culture