Evaluation

We were told before the Christmas break that we should have a 2-3 ideas of a show that we would produce.  My 2 ideas were: adults playing children's games, and an art program (this idea did not have much to go on)

I decided to develop the party idea and called it 'Party Mania'. For our pitching idea I made sure to mention how the show would go, what each round would be, what the VTs would include, the prize of the show, set layout, camera layout and audience layout. Only thing that had not been done was the script but that is because it was not asked for, and is supposed to be the next step after the final chosen idea. For this unit Joshua Jones idea won; 'The Big Movie Quiz'. 

After Joshs idea was chosen we had interviews on the roles that we wanted to do. To prepare for my interview I researched the two roles I wanted to do (a blog post was done about it). I applied for the role of Floor Manager and production Manager and was successful. 

Below I will write about my roles; how it went and briefly on what I had to do. 

Production Manager: 

First I created a google drive account where everyone could post what they are doing and be able to be up to date with the show and its progress. Then a contact sheet was created with everyones numbers on it so everyone can contact in case they needed something. Regarding the google drive, I created an email account that everyone could use rather than having to share it with people individually. But it seemed that some people would rather access it from their personal emails because of the constant logging out - I was happy to share it with people who wanted it. 

After that, I sat and discussed with Josh the type of extra stuff he would want to try and establish a budget. Josh wanted £50 from each student, but I knew that was too much because at the end of the day we are all still students and don't have much money to give. It was then agreed to start off with £30 each and then if more is needed we will ask for it. Everyone said it was okay to give that money, no one had any issues. 

Afterwards I sat down with the director, producer and AP to figure out what they wanted to create a schedule for everyone and certain deadline so things can run smoothly. I started working backwards from the final deadline and the already existing deadlines that the the university had assigned. The producer and I set deadline for the vT producer, social media team and graphics team deadlines of scripts, drafts, filming days and editing days. This was done so that everything could be approved by the producer and also in case some shoot days didn't go well or the videos were not what were expected, there was enough time for reshoots and re-edits and so no one is doing anything last minute. But a lot of people were not happy with the deadlines that were given because either it clashed with work days, or just the fact that it was not fair for some people to be working on certain whilst others don't. Although, it was a fair point, I made it clear to everyone that they will have to work on weekends (the whole crew) until everything has been finished with the show. I advised them to follow my deadlines but obviously I cannot force them, as long as they meet the viewing deadlines and the final version deadlines. I think this was a fair option that was given to the crew.

After that I set a budget sheet for all different departments, with £20 each to pay for any props that were needed and then a different budget for the actors that they used. BUT, there was a big problem with the budget for sound. Sound department was talking with producer on what was wanted and needed, and also finding copyright free music to use in the show. Even though I set a budget of £20, I knew the budget for sound was more, but each time I asked how much each music piece costs it was brushed off. It was then discussed between producer and sound that £20 was fine and they had no problem paying for the rest of it. This is great because we wouldn't have enough money for it anyway, but I was not happy with having a department paying for something so expensive when it was a group project, I agreed with them that I can give them £30 and what ever money is left at the end of the show I would give it to them. But, after a while there was a mix up with sound and money was being asked for. During our last production meeting with Helen, I had to tell VT department that the money to pay the actor cannot come out of the budget but that they will have to pay it themselves otherwise we would  not have enough money. The VT producer was not happy about this, so I began to collect more money from everyone for the third time. This was reluctant money because people were becoming fed up of the whole situation, just like me. I was becoming very frustrated because every time I asked how much sound would cost,  I was getting no answer and told not to worry about it. Thankfully, the university said they would pay for it which was great because it came to over £100. By this happening it meant that we had a lot more money left over at the end, and money that I can give back to the crew.
                                        

My involvement with the host was just making sure that we had an agreed cost on how much we would pay him. Originally we would pay for everything, travel and food but then we noticed that that would have been too much and not within the budget we had - so we came to an agreement with the host that we would pay him x amount of money to him. But after a while it was apparent that we would not need the host for one of the rehearsal days as we were not ready and also he was not available for the times we wanted him. With this happening it meant we could afford to pay for all his travel expenses and food without any issues or less money being agreed on. The same applies for the contestants where I budgeted for the lunch and drinks on the TX day.

Also, I made all the contracts and call  sheets and schedules for everyone. I decided that I would make separate schedules for everyone that they could keep track of and follow so they are more aware of when their individual deadlines are, where they have to be. I made the call sheets for the host and his contracts which I have with me. Also, I was their to make sure he was happy and make small convo with him on the days of VTs.

Overall feeling as Production Manager: 
I absolutely loved it! As this is a role that I would greatly love to have in the future, it gave me a taste of what to expect and how to do things. Obviously,  it being a student production it wasn't the full experience but I feel it taught me great valuable lessons, with being organised as the most important thing for production manager.

Originally, I was afraid of taking the role because I was afraid of conflict between fellow classmates. This is because of me having to ask money and also the scheduling and trying to come up with a good plan to satisfy everyone. Even though there were a few bumps in the road regarding both those departments, I feel like I handled it really well with no arguments but just pure explanation to everyone on how things have to run.

I learnt that as Production Manager I had to stay on top of everything. I made sure that I was checking the google drive everyday for any new updates, updating the schedule and the budget sheet.


Floor Manager:
My job as floor manager couldn't begin until rehearsal. At first I was not entirely sure when I could shout on the floor but I soon realised that when every the microphones were not live, I could give regular countdowns.

From the first rehearsal I made sure all the crew on the floor was on talk back and making sure everyone was understanding what the director was saying regarding her shot, set change, when to count down and also keeping track of the script. Obviously as time passed it was easier to rehearse set change and I was becoming more confident on shouting out the countdown.

As my role of floor manager and production manager as was the runners and assigning them their roles. Below are screenshot of the final choices and a sheet I emailed out to them all which had a description of what their job entailed:



On the set rigging day was when my experience as floor manager actually began. I had to talk to set design people to see when they would finish so that camera crew could continue setting up their cameras. Afterwards, I briefed all the runners on how I want the set changed, how the show works, how long they have and positioned them where I wanted them on the floor. 

Afterwards, I continued talking with the lighting crew and figuring out where the best place for the host and contestants to stand. Afterwards, rehearsals ran very smoothly with the help of the runners moving the set, cueing contestants and host. 

The TX day was great, we had rehearsals in the morning, the show ran on time, audience enjoyed it, briefed them on health and safety, runners were in their place and de-rigging went quick and smoothly. 

To make sure I stayed on track and did everything I had to do, I carried around a checklist with me:




Overall feeling as Floor Manager: 
I was actually really excited to take on this role, and surprisingly I enjoyed and could imagine my self being AFM and one day FM.

At first I was nervous when it came to the shouting, I was a bit embarrassed as well but I got the hang of it and sooner than later I was taking charge of the floor and making sure everyone was in place. During the last 2 days (set rigged and TX day) it was extremely hectic but also the most rewarding, because we managed to pull a successful show.

I feel that I did a good job for this role, as I was on time, set was changed on time, audience clapped at the right time, runners were all busy doing something rather than sitting about and I had great communication with everyone in the crew. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now or Never (2011) - A short film about family relationships

Evaluation

Greek Cypriot Culture