Research on Inspiration

This blog post is here to show you what scenes from movies inspired me for my video.

The amazing montage director: Edgar Wright

Some background information on him:

Director & Writer 
D.OB. 18.04.1974
From: Dorset 
Best known for: 
Shaun of the dead 
Hot Fuzz 
Scott pilgrim vs. the World 

Uses works alongside Simon Pegg and Nick Frost

Majority of films include the style of: 
- fast action style editing (from mundane tasks)
- repeated lines or snippets of dialogue for comedic effect
- deadpan humour in fast paced moments

Below I will write how certain scenes from Edgar Wrights' movies inspired me for my video:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoTThWeyR0Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhsqHk8J58M



             
This scene from Shaun of the Dead, inspired me to be using different clothing to show time passing. In the scene above, the way Edgar Wright portrayed how the idea of the characters was changing was through the mugs. For my project, I'm going to attempt to show time passing through the outfit change. So each time 59 sits down, gets the burger and eats, is a different day to show time passing.



In the movie, Hot Fuzz, there is a scene where the character assembles all his weapons very fast paced, tight shots. This will be incorporated into my video, when my character 59 is getting dressed. I would like to show the process of him getting dressed (which is  a dull process which will show how uneventful his life is), with tight close ups  of the action, being fast paced.


                                               

My Favourite scene by Edgar Wright is in movie The Worlds End. The scene is at the start of the movie where the main character is shocked that his friend doesn't want to drink beer but orders water instead. The montage shows 4 pints of beer being poured and then a pint of water. By doing so I feel that it makes it more humorous but also dramatic at the same time. Furthermore it feels like an advertisement for beer in a way. The above images aren't clear but it is to show how it takes up the whole screen with a point of view shot. In my video, I would like to do this when 59 gets the wrong burger (61) - to show tight close up, and a repetition of the same burger being given and then a different burger being shown.

Why use montage: 

The reason I want to use montage is because I feel it will put a comedic twist on the poem but it will emphasise the life style of my character. So, with each time a montage sequence happens it shows time passing and how depressed and fed up my character is with his life, but the second part will then show how he happy with his new life (new burger supposedly).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now or Never (2011) - A short film about family relationships

Evaluation

Greek Cypriot Culture