Location Scouting

Originally I wanted to use the set of the American Dinner at the studios. But, unfortunately I was not allowed to film there because Take Me Out is being filmed and they use that set for the contestants. Laura very kindly sent me a few locations which have the say American looking layout.

One of them which I really liked was Deans Dinner which was at Chatham Dockyard. When I went to have a look at it and speak the manager I was a bit worried with the layout. Although it was everything I imagined for my shoot it was a small area and after speaking with the manager she did not sound very promising about being able to use the space. Not only that but as they are a well known chain they are constantly busy even in the morning when they open. So, although image wise it was everything I wanted, i did not want to interrupt their business but also I did not want to rely on a place that could not give me a definite answer.

So I continued looking around the Dockyard to see if there was anything else which resembled an American diner. I came across Cream and although it is a pancake place I was willing to change from burgers to pancakes. I spoke to one of the managers but was told again to call them a different day when someone else would be in. After careful consideration I decided not to go for Creams because it is a rather dark atmosphere and I want to stick to bright colours. I knew that trying to get permission from a chain would be difficult, especially for a student production.

With that in mind I spent a day walking around Chatham and Rochester looking for something which resembled a diner but was independently owned. I came across an American/Texas place. They only has to places, a sit down and eat in Rochester and a take away in Gillingham. After I spoke to the manager, she said that there would not be a problem but she would just have to ask the owner. Although it is not the stereotypical diner place, it was still a cosy place to be with its American posters and jokes on the wall and the warm brown atmosphere. Unfortunately they were not giving me a definitive answer if I would be allowed to use their space. Therefore I continued to look around.

This time I decided to look at the high street towards Chatham instead of where it would be busy. I was aware that I would not find any place that looks like an American Diner, therefore I was looking for a pub/bar which serves food as well so the atmosphere would resemble a food environment. I came across a pub which is called The Ship Inn Rochester. I spoke to the manager/owner of the pub and explained to them what I was doing and that in return I would make them a promotional video. Luckily he had no problem with allowing me to use his place but was also willing to open 2 hours before his original opening time to let me film. Inside is a bit dark but I think with the tungsten lights and fixing the exposure on the camera I will be okay. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now or Never (2011) - A short film about family relationships

Evaluation

Greek Cypriot Culture